"Turkey’s confiscation of property belonging to the Greek Cypriots
following the 1974 invasion amounts to a denial of their rights under Article 1 of Protocol 1 of the European Convention...
Evening Standard, 20 July 1974
"Turkey’s confiscation of property belonging to the Greek Cypriots following the 1974 invasion amounts to a denial of their rights under Article 1 of Protocol 1 of the European Convention (see Loizidou), as well as a violation of Article 8 of the Convention if the property had been the individual’s primary home."
"It must be fully appreciated by all Greek Cypriots (whether or not they are refugees) that if the Annan plan is implemented as presently drafted a significant number of dispossessed refugees may be prevented from reclaiming their stolen lands and may no longer be able to uphold their legal rights in a court of law."
Professor Christopher Greenwood QC, 2003
The Annan plan will:
- deny the Cypriot refugees the right to return to their homes and lands, freedom of movement, settlement and ownership within their own country
- create an apartheid state in Cyprus by purposefully dividing and segregating Greek and Turkish Cypriots along ethnic and religious lines
- permanently dispossess over 100,000 Greek Cypriots of their lands and properties in the north (which amount to more than 90% of the total area under military occupation)
- give 'current users' of affected properties title-deeds to the stolen properties of refugees.
We CALL ON DECISION MAKERS TO ENSURE THAT ANY SETTLEMENT GUARANTEES THE RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS OF ALL CYPRIOTS AS ENSHRINED IN EUROPEAN AND INTERNATIONAL LAW
- Removal of all Turkish troops from Cyprus
- Repatriation of all colonists
- Return of all refugees to their homes without preconditions, restrictions or discrimination
Lobby for Cyprus is a non-party-political organisation with the aim of reuniting Cyprus