15 January 1998
Turkey – a rotten apple unfit for European Union membership
A country desperate for membership of the European Union. A country that is signatory to two international conventions against torture, and yet has an unenviable reputation for systematic torture and human rights violations. Amnesty international has reported widely on the country's deteriorating human rights record, on the 'disappearances' and extrajudicial executions...
- A country desperate for membership of the European Union. A country that is signatory to two international conventions against torture, and yet has an unenviable reputation for systematic torture and human rights violations. Amnesty international has reported widely on the country's deteriorating human rights record, on the 'disappearances' and extrajudicial executions.
- A country that illegally occupies Cyprus, which is soon destined to be a member state of the EU.
- A country that ignores countless UN resolutions calling for an end to its illegal occupation of the island of Cyprus.
- A country that denies over 200,000 Greek Cypriot refugees the right to return to their homes and lands, that denies the basic freedoms of movement, settlement and ownership.
- A country that denies the rights of the enclaved Greek Cypriot community in the occupied area of Cyprus (Karpass peninsula), placing serious restrictions on their freedom of movement, their right to education and welfare, their basic right to human dignity and existence.
- A country that fails to enlighten the international community on the fate of 1,619 missing Greek Cypriots, despite undisputed photographic and other evidence, that many of them were alive in Turkish prisons and hospitals well after the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.
- A country that allows the systematic plunder of Greek Cypriot churches and historical sites, the removal of priceless artefacts and wholesale cultural destruction.
- A country engaged in the ethnic cleansing of Kurdish people.
- A country that has no regard for human life or basic human rights and continues to torture its own people, including women and young children.
Turkey has no place in Europe until:
- It learns to show respect for international law and civilised norms of behaviour.
- It removes its army of occupation and the tens of thousands of Turkish colonists from Cyprus.
- The Greek Cypriot refugees are permitted to return to their homes and properties, in accordance with the decision of the European Court of Human Rights on the Titina Loizidou vs Turkey case, which confirmed that the Greek Cypriot refugees are the legitimate owners of their stolen properties in occupied Cyprus.
- A ROTTEN APPLE, NOT FIT FOR EUROPEAN UNION MEMBERSHIP
We will return!
For further information please contact Lobby via e-mail: